While today you can find an abundance of open jobs on websites like LinkedIn, Monster or Indeed, not every open position is posted on a job board. There are other ways to find jobs—including cold calling. While the idea may make you a bit nervous, before you discount this possibility, keep in mind these five reasons why cold calling is still a great way to find the perfect position.
- Beat the Rush – With some companies, as soon as a new job is posted online, there will be hundreds of applications. If you call and speak to someone directly, you may beat the rush of online applications and have a leg up on the competition.
- Pitch for a Non-existent Job – Sometimes, there are job openings that no one knows exist. Do you think you would make a great marketing manager, but the company does not have a marketing manager? Cold calling is your best way to get a foot in the door.
- Some Companies are Low-Tech – Even if a company accepts online applications, the HR manager may or may not be using them for hiring purposes. Remember, not every firm will be on the cutting edge of hiring technology. Calling before you bother to apply with the online system could save time and make sure your application is actually seen.
- You Can Impress the Powers That Be – Cold calling shows initiative and a strong desire to work for the company. Plus, you have the opportunity to talk to a real person in the organization—not deal with an automatic application system. Use this method of making contact with employers as a way to stand out from other applicants.
- The Worse They Can Do is Say No – Remember, the worst thing that happens is that the company representative tells you that they are not hiring or he or she refers you to an online application system. There is certainly no harm in trying and a phone call only takes a few minutes, so why not give it your best effort?
Cold calling takes “guts”, but once you have done it a few times, the process becomes easier. Breathe deeply and relax—you are just inquiring about opportunities. You have plenty of time to get nervous later when you earn that interview!