So, you applied for the job of your dreams and guess what—the hiring manager called you back! However, they do not want you to come in for an interview yet. This company conducts the first interview by phone. The concept of a phone interview can be a little daunting, but at it can offer you a great way to set yourself apart from other candidates and work towards getting that job you want so badly. The key to success, as always, is preparation. So, prepare yourself by learning a bit more about phone interviews—here are five things you may not have known!
- Your surroundings matter – The interviewer may be able to hear what is happening around you, so try not to interview at a busy coffee shop or while your kids are running around playing nearby. Find a quiet place where you can concentrate and focus on the task at hand.
- You may need references – You may be asked about your job history, educational background or for more information about your application. Have this information ready so you can get to it quickly. You will seem much better prepared and will not have to stress during the conversation.
- You should dress up – Professionals agree, when you dress for success, you will be more successful. Wear a nice outfit, not your pajamas. Your interview performance will pay off.
- It is a great time to ask questions – This is a wonderful opportunity to ask questions about the position or learn more about the company. Chances are if you show an interest in the firm and the job, the interviewer will remember and will consider this a good indication of your desire to work there.
- Following up is important – The phone interview is not the end. Send a letter (or e-mail depending on the company) thanking the interviewer for his or her time. Following up is a good way to stand out from the other candidates and could earn you that coveted callback.
While a telephone interview may be a bit stressful, it is not that big of a deal! Be prepared and smile when you speak. The smile will come through in everything you say and do. Soon, this interview will be behind you, and you can focus on the next step in your journey to a new job!